Do you have a fear that is clearly irrational yet it causes you significant distress? Do you go to great lengths to avoid this feared stimulus? If so, you may have a specific phobia. The following are some common examples of specific phobias that Dr. Shinar treats:
- Acrophobia: Fear of heights
- Aerophobia: Fear of flying
- Agoraphobia: Fear of open spaces or crowds
- Aichmophobia: Fear of needles or pointed objects
- Anginophobia: Fear of angina or choking
- Ataxophobia: Fear of disorder or untidiness
- Atelophobia: Fear of imperfection
- Atychiphobia: Fear of failure
- Autophobia: Fear of being alone
- Cynophobia: Fear of dogs
- Dentophobia: Fear of dentists
- Emetophobia: Fear of vomiting
- Glossophobia: Fear of public speaking
- Hemophobia: Fear of blood
- Iatrophobia: Fear of doctors
- Lockiophobia: Fear of childbirth
- Mysophobia: Fear of dirt and germs
- Ornithophobia: Fear of birds
- Pathophobia: Fear of disease
- Sociophobia: Fear of social evaluation
- Technophobia: Fear of technology
- Trypanophobia: Fear of needles and injections
- Venustraphobia: Fear of beautiful women
- Zoophobia: Fear of animals
When healthy anxiety that motivates us to study for exams, listen to our alarm, and avoid dark streets in a high crime area, is longer adaptive, it can reduce your productivity and significantly intrude on your quality of life. People develop irrational fears of situations, objects, events, animals, and people that cause distressing physical symptoms, cognitive disruptions and emotional upset.
Dr. Shinar’s step-by-step holistic approach outlined below will reduce the intensity and frequency of your phobia symptoms within weeks, not years.
One hour consultation session to grasp an accurate diagnosis and to formulate an individual treatment plan.
Discover the mind-body connection, phobia triggers and then apply lifestyle changes. Discuss and design your specific treatment goals.
Learn relaxation practices including diaphragmatic breathing, guided imagery, and progressive muscle relaxation.
A personalized relaxation script can be made for you to take home and practice between sessions on your mobile phone.
Realize the association between your thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. Change your negative and distorted self-dialogue to a more constructive and accurate one using cognitive restructuring practices. Maintain your healthier and more well-adjusted lifestyle.
Relapse Prevention: Learn how to apply your relaxation techniques, cognitive restructuring and healthier lifestyle long term, for years after the end of treatment.
Note: These steps are individually tailor-made to each individual based on the severity, duration, and kind of phobia and the person's motivation to succeed. This treatment demonstrations higher success percentages with greatly motivated clients who attend treatment consistently and maintain compliance with treatment.